Notes from Bret Bielema’s Thursday press conference

· Yahoo Sports

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WCIA) - Illinois head football coach Bret Bielema spoke with reporters on Thursday as his team nears the end of their third week of fall training camp.

Visit extonnews.click for more information.

Bielema had plenty to discuss, as evidenced by a 5.5 minute opening statement which touched on a wide variety of topics. His comments ranged from new team captains, a recent roster addition, injury updates, the possibility of more roster additions and more.

NEW PLAYER ON THE ROSTER

Illinois has added tight end Peyton Smith to its 2026 lineup. Smith transfers to Champaign after spending four seasons at the University of San Diego. At USD, he had 47 catches for 367 yards and three touchdowns. It is believed that he will receive a fifth-year of eligilibity based on the recent court ruling which awarded the high school class of 2022 access to the new 'five-for-five' eligibility ruling which the NCAA announced earlier in the summer.

Bielema says it became a goal to add depth at that spot, preferably experienced depth, after BJ Thurman was ruled out for the season.

"He played a lot of football there at San Diego," Bielema said. "Initial thoughts on him have been very, very positive, excited to get him in the building.

Smith will be with the Illini for practice starting on Friday, Aug. 21. He's the second player Illinois has added in the month of August, after signing wide receiver Josh Lorick, a transfer from Incarnate Word.

POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL ROSTER DEVELOPMENTS

The world of college sports in 2026 seems to be constantly changing. One of the biggest recent changes came in June, when the NCAA announced a new age-based eligibility model. This system grants athletes five years to play five seasons, f they enroll in college no later than the academic year after their 19th birthday.

One of the hot topics around college athletics since these new eligibility rules were announced was whether or not they would apply to recently graduated seniors. The NCAA originally said the high school class of 2022 would not be eligible to retroactively receive the benefits of another year, but a court ruling has since ruled otherwise.

However, that court ruling originally stated that members of the '22 class who had graduated and signed professional sports contracts wouldn't be able to come back to college.

Now, that could potentially be changing, too.

A trio of former Ole Miss players, who had all signed with NFL teams, were granted a temporary restraining order Wednesday to return to college for one more season on Wednesday, according to ESPN.

This presents some questions for the Illini, of course. Bielema says his staff, and Illinois Athletics' administration, are exploring options and waiting to see what is and isn't going to be allowed.

"Right now it's just kind of a wait and see," he said. "...We're getting as much up to date information as we can, and have had some preliminary conversations with people that might be able to have that moment come. But, we'll kind of put everything on hold until that becomes a reality."

Bielema mentioned wide receiver Hank Beatty and offensive lineman Melvin Priestly as two players who would 'make the most sense' if bringing back graduated seniors who signed pro deals became an option.

WEDNESDAY SCRIMMAGE

Coach B offered an almost position by position recap of the team's most recent scrimmage.

"I think in the quarterback room Katin [Houser] has continued to establish who he is, let his teammates know who he is, he's got a very exciting talent," Bielema said, also highlighting Houser's presence and leadership - as evidenced by him becoming a team captain before ever playing a snap for Illinois.

Bielema said the offensive line looked good during Wednesday night's scrimmage, too.

"Super excited about the growth there," he said.

He says seniors Kaden Feagin, Christian Abney and Davin Stoffel played a bulk of the snaps at the tight end position.

As for the wide receivers, Bielema shouted out Collin Dixon, Jayshon Platt and Brayden Trimble, while also noting that Hudson Clement returned to action, although in a limited capacity. He also said incoming transfers Eddie Kasper (Illinois State) and Ty Robinson (Ball State) did some good things.

As for the defense, Bielema says he sees the speed and effort which he had hoped would show up under the new coordinator and scheme.

Defensive back Matthew Bailey was limited in the scrimmage, but is expected to be cleared to practice in full by Monday, Aug. 24. Xavier Scott, who missed most of the 2025 season due to injury, is fully healthy now and was on the attack in the scrimmage.

"He definitely is in good form, good shape," Bielema said of Scott.

Coach also mentioned Juice Clarke, Jakwon Morris, Nick Hankins, Tywan Cox, Mac Resetich and Ben Clawson as other defensive backs who are showing continued signs of growth. Tanner Heckel, a junior DB, is expected to return to action from injury in a similar timeline to Bailey.

Bailey also spoke with the media on Thursday, after being voted a team captain, and clarified he has no doubts about his availability for Illinois' season opener against UAB on Sept. 3.

Click here for more on GCMS graduate Aidan Laughery's reaction to being named a team captain.

Click here for high school football coverage.

Copyright 2026 Nexstar Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to WCIA.com.

Read full story at source